Sunday, February 27, 2011

There is a real feeling of change in the air.
It is cooler in the night
and here and there a leaf is changing colour.

Autumn will officially be here in a day or two.


In my street it is acorn time
and in her usual crazy magnificence
Mother Oak
is littering the place with thousands of acorns.


I tell her 6 or 10 acorns would be plenty!

The children get so excited when they see them,
and gather them up as they walk along.
I cannot resist them either
and take a few home..


and add them to the walnut shells I've saved.
It seems such a pity not to use them somehow.

I've been cleaning and polishing them ready for an arty project.
They make me think of little Irish currachs the monks sailed in.

I've recently enjoyed listening to the fascinating series by the British Museum / BBC...
The History of the World  - '100 Objects'

and thought I will make or find  '100 Small Objects'
to celebrate
the beautiful world I live in.
 The Shaky Isles..
Aotearoa...New Zealand.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see what you do with your treasures, Joan. I do hope you will share them. The season is starting to change here as well. Though we had more snow today, there is a change. I can feel it. This is the time of year I need to practice patience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your project is interesting J, I would love to see your 100 small objects when they are done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to seeing the completed project! Tey are like tiny currachs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your collection of shells. They look so intriguing, just waiting to be turned into something. Thank you for reminding me of the acorns; I haven't been to the park yet to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! 100 objects celebrating this world. I love it.

    ReplyDelete