Friday, July 15, 2011



So did the young girl who owned the book of naive poems leave her family
and run off with a young man?

No.
With somewhat romantic notions and teenage zeal
she went off to become a nun.

They were happy years of learning.
Thirteen years never to be regretted.

Strange how I dressed my Pedigree Elizabeth doll as a nun.
Living in the country, we never saw nuns.
After the death of my father when I was 16,
my mother, sister and I read aloud a book called
"The Deliverance of Sister Cecilia" about a sister who rescued Jewish children
in Europe during the war. I was very impressed with the story and was inspired to dress my doll.
The doll is long lost and this photo was given to me recently, as was the book of poems.

It was while working at the Mater Hospital later, that I met 'real' nuns,
and decided this is what I wanted to do with my life.

A long time ago now.
At age 30 I left and later married.
To this day I am blessed with wonderful friendships of the women I knew then.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment